Shutterstock 1228868821

Most shared buildings have a body corporate that can assist both owners and tenants.

If you live in a shared building, sometimes it’s not always your property manager that you can go to for help. Shared properties have a body corporate, also known as an owners corporation, which exist to maintain and manage the mutual interests of all owners in a particular building. They are primarily responsible for the control, management, and maintenance of the common areas, and also have a role in security and behaviour between tenants.

What does body corporate cover?

-Maintaining the building structure and common areas. This can include:

  • Gardens
  • Parking garages/areas
  • Tennis courts
  • Pool
  • Gym
  • Elevators
  • Lobbies and hallways
  • Communal laundry.

-Issues between tenants, when the actions of one particular person may impact others. This can include:

  • Behaviour between tenants
  • Parking issues
  • Noise issues/complaints.

-Creating by-laws that all tenants and owners must abide by. This can include:

  • Rules regarding pets in the building
  • Security regulations and concerns.

When there is a maintenance issue in your unit that is a result of a problem somewhere in the common property, for example, if a pipe is leaking from the common property into your unit and causing damage, then it is body corporate who will look after this.

If you are unsure who to contact with an issue, you can always speak to your property manager first and they will be able to help you or refer you to your body corporate.

It is also important to keep your property manager in the loop, so they are aware of the situation.

You can also usually find your body corporate contact details in the common area of your building.

If you require more information, please contact us and a team member will be in touch with you.